Earlier this year we took our first family trip Walt Disney World in Orlando. We planned this trip rather last minute, as our original plan of going over the summer changed since we’re expecting our third baby in July. One last trip as a family of four!
Normally I do lots of research before taking on a trip, probably too much research! Since there were only a few weeks between booking the trip and packing our bags, I spent less time researching but still think I did well preparing for our family trip to Disney World. I mainly focused on what to pack for the family and decided the rest I’d figure out once we arrived!
We stayed at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort and relied on the Disney transportation system to get between the parks and hotel. This made transportation easy, but it also meant there were not opportunities to swing by stores to pick up last minute items. I also did not want to spend a small fortune buying necessary items in hotel or park gift shops, so a good packing plan was key.
In addition to all of our regular clothes, shoes and toiletries, here are some of the extra items I packed for our Walk Disney World trip that were useful:
- Insect repellant
- Wet wipes and hand sanitizer
- Ziplock bags, various sizes – perfect for the $7 Mickey Mouse cookie your kid wanted and had one bite – save it for later!
- Snacks – because kids always want snacks! Next time I’d throw in some breakfast bars as it could take a while from the time we got up until we arrived somewhere for breakfast.
- Water bottles for kids – we’re big fans of these Nalgene water bottles, they go everywhere with us.
- Rain ponchos (kids and adult sizes) – these are lightweight enough to thrown in your backpack everyday.
- Compact umbrella – so you are prepared for an afternoon Orlando rain shower.
- Flashlight – I always bring a small flashlight to a hotel.
- Portable cell phone charger – I have this one and it’s perfect for charging on the go, especially when you burn battery taking so many photos and videos.
- Band-aids, gauze, paper tape, moleskin, antibiotic ointment – someone always gets a scrape or blister (usually me!).
- Small blankets – perfect for the kids in their strollers when it cooled down in the evening; great for the plane too
- Lightweight sweater and/or windbreaker.
- Notebook/autograph book and markers – so the kids can get character autographs! On the plane or during long waits, I also had the kids draw pictures in their books about the trip, it kept them busy.
Most of the items on the list above my husband or I carried in our backpacks each day. Since we had strollers, we could also stash sweaters and blankets in them to save room in our backpacks. We had a change of clothes in a plastic bag for each child in the stroller – and used them!
Are you planning a trip to Walt Disney World, or are you a Disney packing pro? Share some of the items on your packing list.